A Travellerspoint blog

Jungle Fever

Wow... that was quite the adventure! While the things we did were amazing, it feels SOOO good to be back in Chiang Mai. I got quite ill on the trek. It came on suddenly and for the last hour of our hike on slippery, steep, muddy trails, I was throwing up off and on. Our guide, "Dee" was so sweet. He patted my back and fanned me with a big leaf. I felt pretty miserable. Kristin was remarkable. She was and has been ill for a week or so now and she managed to hang out by my side each of the many times I vomited. Carrying packs, slipping on mud, and watching a friend by ill, is no fun when you are also sick. When we finally arrived at the hilltribe village, I was still sick. This nice Italian man brought me a coca-cola, which I was able to drink most of before emptying the gut again. Kristin and I turned in immediately while the others hung out. We slept on the floor of this thatched hut on stilts next to a river. The floor was bamboo and had random holes where bamboo had broken, rotted, or just never been built. All of us had individual mosquito nets to tuck under the damp pads on the floor. Throughout the night, I had fever, chills and I felt kind of delirious. I felt like I was spinning. Around 2:00-ish I felt like the fever broke. Could it have been something I ate? Malaria? Dengue Fever? The options really seemed endless. The next morning my fever was gone, but I still didn't feel too great.

I still participated in the elephant trek through the jungle, which was spectacular. Elephants are so massive, but they managed to walk on this muddy trail that would have been narrow for my feet. After the elephant ride, we went on a 2 1/2 hour bamboo raft ride down the river. They literally were finishing making the bamboo rafts as we were getting on. We went down rapids on this thing! Our raft started to fall apart a little and our guide was tying bamboo strings around it as we were flying down the rapids. Quite exciting! It was a great way to begin year 36 of my life.

Arriving back at our 6 dollar a night guest house never felt better. I took a shower and crashed out. The owner of the guesthouse knocked on the door and said that our trekking group was getting ready to leave so we should come and say goodbye. When we all got out in the restaurant portion of the trip, I was surprised by chocolate cake and an endless supply of fresh fruit. Our tour group consisted of a swiss couple, 2 Italian guys, 2 British girls, and a British guy. They are so sweet here.

Down time is in order now. We have been taking it easy since the trek. I have been in out of bed (mostly in). I found two new books at a used book shop and will be sitting in cafes reading and really taking it easy. I think a trip to an air-conditioned Starbucks may be on the agenda for the day.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! As I was spinning on the floor in the thatched roof hut at midnight on the 12th, I thought, "This must be a joke..." I decided it really was a cool place and time to be out of my mind. :) I wonder where I'll be and what I'll be doing at 37?

Posted by venisha 21:21 Archived in Thailand Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Never a dull moment. Sounds like year 36 started off like no other year. Enjoy the air conditioning at Starbucks!

by evonspangl

36 never looked so good... trust me.
Maybe you should welcome your 37th at a Spa???
Lu P

by mamalu

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.